Job Description Summary
This position supports the Assistant and/or Chief Engineer and Sr. Facilities Manager in the day-to-day maintenance, repair, and efficient operation of all building systems and equipment on behalf of the client. The Engineer will accurately and perform timely routine operation, inspection, maintenance, and repairs all HVAC, mechanical, electrical, and plumbing equipment, and systems in assigned facilities to obtain the most efficient operating results and life expectancy. Can include HVAC, boiler, heating, refrigeration, water, and energy systems to ensure the effective operation of the client facility. Position assures that equipment is being maintained in an energy-efficient and safe manner, and downtime is reduced to a minimum by anticipation of necessary repairs and maintaining records of past operating experiences. Performs inspections and repairs to assigned property interior and exterior areas, including walls and flooring, installed fixtures, roofing systems, lighting, etc.
The Engineer will perform at the highest of ethical standards, reflecting the core values of C&W as defined in its Business Code of Conduct, Policies and Procedures Manual, and other related company policies.
This is a non-supervisory/ hourly / non-exempt role.
External relationships: this role will interact the client, client staff, and other client vendors.
Internal relationships: this role will interact with the Assistant and/or Chief Engineer and other C&W co-workers as well as the Sr. Facilities Manager.
* Ensure ongoing preventive maintenance and repair work orders on facility mechanical, electrical, lighting, and other installed systems, equipment, and other components.
* Maintain, operate, and repair all HVAC systems and associated equipment, electrical distribution equipment, plumbing systems, building interior/exterior repair, and related grounds as it pertains to assigned client buildings.
* Performs major HVAC repairs including compressor replacement, condenser replacement, evaporator coil replacement, condenser coil replacement, etc. * Performs major plumbing replacements including domestic water piping, steam trap repairs, sewage line repairs, bathroom fixture repairs, etc. * Perform electrical repairs including running and bending conduit piping, pulling cables, performing electrical panel maintenance, electric motor maintenance, and predictive maintenance using a megar on said motors and compressors.
* Perform assigned facility inspections and due diligence efforts, reporting on as-found conditions impacting satisfactory client occupancy and operations.
* Respond effectively to all emergencies. May require light travel during emergency events. * Operation, maintenance, and repair of all boilers, heaters, pumps, valves, and lines used in the distribution of steam and heated or processed water.
* Operation, maintenance, and repair of refrigerant compressors, condensers, evaporators, traps, transfer pumps, expansion valves, stop valves, and float valves, together with all refrigerant lines and devices used to control temperature, and air conditioning systems in their entirety.
* Operation, maintenance, and repair of pumps handling water or other secondary refrigerating liquids together with all valves, appurtenances, and lines used in the system.
* Operation, maintenance, and repair of air compressors, together with distribution lines and all valves and devices for air control.
* Operation, maintenance, and repair of water filters, softeners, piping, and pumps used in conjunction with water distribution, including all sinks and toilet bowls, including all supply lines, drains, water lines, control devices, and sprinkler systems.
* Operation, maintenance, and repair of all types of electrical motors and engines used to power pumps, compressors, and fans. * Maintenance of elevators except where this type of equipment is serviced and maintained by specialized contractors.
* Operation, maintenance, and repair of building automation systems for HVAC, including consoles, data gathering panels, remote sensors, and indicating devices.
* Operation, maintenance, and repair of sanitary sewer systems, and sump pumps including basins, water closets, urinals, and piping.
* Maintenance and repair of trash compactors, including electrical and hydraulic systems * Maintenance and repair of all kitchen equipment excluding tenant-owned equipment. * Maintain stock and inventory control.
* Recommend improvements to the preventive maintenance program on an ongoing basis.
* Ensure the management team is informed of current building operations by compiling and submitting monthly reports.
* Study and become familiar with the various items of equipment for assigned client locations, and the methods required to use them properly to ensure required ongoing daily client activities. To include building automation systems, fire/life safety systems, and any other building-related equipment as needed.
* Recommend improvements to the preventive maintenance program on an ongoing basis.
* Recognize danger and safety hazards and propose methods to eliminate them or use the correct PPE in performing the task needed.
* Comply with all applicable codes, regulations, governmental agencies, and company directives related to building operations and practicing safe work habits.
* Respond effectively to all emergencies. May require light travel during emergency events.
* Must maintain all Federal, State, or Local licenses required for locations assigned.
* Complete all required C&W Safety Training as scheduled annually.
* Comply with C&W Uniform Dress Code while working and maintain a neat and clean appearance during all working hours.
* General Maintenance may include but is not limited to: a) Repairs on toilet facilities including soap dispensers. b) Repairs on registers and radiators. c) Replacement of lamps and cleaning of light fixtures. d) Removing ceiling tile. e) Minor repairs on furniture and floors. f) Maintaining and/or replacing door hardware. g) Repair of floor maintenance equipment and Venetian blinds. h) Maintenance painting in equipment rooms, cooling towers, and other building facilities. i) Assist in the replacement of filters in the HVAC equipment. j) General cleaning in mechanical spaces and perimeter inductions units k) Cleanup of equipment in the engine room and shop l) Miscellaneous handyman work requires the limited use of hand tools. m) Replace fire extinguishers when needed * Must maintain all Federal, State, or Local licenses required for locations assigned.
* Other assigned operational tasks may be typically expected of the Building Engineer role.
* Communication Proficiency (oral and written)
* Organization Skills * Technical Proficiency
* Problem Solving/Analysis
* Sense of Urgency
Any combination of education and experience that would provide the required knowledge and abilities is qualifying. A typical way to obtain knowledge and abilities would be:
Education A High School Diploma or GED Equivalent is required.
Graduate of an apprentice program or trade school preferred is preferred.
Years of Relevant Experience Minimum of four (4) years of technical experience in all aspects of building engineering with a strong background in technical aspects of HVAC equipment and systems, plumbing, electrical, equipment repair and maintenance, and overall system design and application as referenced above.
Licenses or Certifications
* Candidate must possess and maintain a valid state driver's license.
* Based on location appropriate license/permit for trade as may be required, i.e., Journeyman or Master Electrician License, City License, Operators License, Steam Engineers License, etc.
* Possess a valid "Universal" level certification for CFC and HFC-based refrigerants (EPA Section 608); to service, repair, or dispose of equipment that could release ozone-depleting refrigerants to the atmosphere or any similar combination of education and experience.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
* Experience in operation, maintenance, and basic repair of HVAC, boilers, heaters, pumps, refrigerant systems, compressors, gas lines, water systems, and the like.
* Knowledgeable in energy management systems, techniques, and operations.
* Thorough knowledge of all building systems operations, maintenance, and repair.
* Excellent interpersonal skills in dealing with tenants, clients, and vendors.
* Basic Computing Skills in Outlook, Excel & Word, including proficiency in the operation of smartphone and/or iPad/tablet, uploading .pdf files, and documents, and logging into conference meetings (e.g., BlueJeans, Teams Meetings, Zoom).
Physical Work Requirements
The conditions herein are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential job functions: Environment: This job operates in a professional office or commercial building environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets, and fax machines. Work could any combination of:
* Almost constant exposure to loud noise includes the use of power equipment and unusual elements, such as extreme temperatures, toxic chemicals, biohazardous materials, dirt, dust, fumes, smoke, and/or loud noises.
* Ability to perform work wearing Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) if required
* May require regular travel outside between properties in varying weather conditions.
Physical: Considerable physical activity. Ability to stoop, stand, climb, frequently lift a minimum of 50 lbs. of equipment (pumps, tools, ladders), and safely install rigging/lifting devices. Regularly required to crouch and reach to install/move equipment by bending forward at the waist or by bending legs and spine. May involve movement between departments, floors, and properties to facilitate work. Should maintain the ability to speak clearly so others can understand you as week as the ability to read and understand the information presented orally and in writing.
Vision: See in the normal visual range with or without correction; vision sufficient to read computer screens and printed documents. Regularly required to utilize vision abilities, allowing reading of printed material, drawings, and schematics.
Hearing: Hear in the normal audio range with or without correction.
Most schedules work typical business hours based on location assigned. Based on client need, the role could be scheduled as the only maintenance staff member on duty during certain shifts; may be required to work extended periods of time without relief when responding to priority/emergency situations (including overtime type assignments); may require shift work and/or on-call duties and over time. Must be willing and able to support after-hours/weekends building-related activity as required. The role may be assigned and must be able to respond to client callbacks for regular repair and/or emergencies events. Based on location assigned, schedules could be assigned as first, second or third shift schedules assigned.
This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive list of activities, duties, or responsibilities that are required of the employee. Other duties, responsibilities, and activities may change or be assigned at any time with or without notice.
Conditions of employment
All offers of employment are contingent upon: Legal Documentation establishing identity and eligibility to be legally employed in the US/United States Citizenship Drug Testing Criminal background check Clean DMV record (for related driving roles) Education verification Reference checks
C&W provides equal employment opportunity to all individuals regardless of their race, color, creed, religion, gender, age, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by state, federal, or local law. Further, the company takes affirmative action to ensure that applicants are employed and employees during employment are treated without regard to any of these characteristics. Discrimination of any type will not be tolerated. UNION ROLES
*Candidates for union roles are encouraged to reach out the assigned union business agents to review related union requirements, benefits, etc. as some role details are designated by the unions Collective Bargaining Agreement (CBA).
Cushman & Wakefield also provides eligible employees with an opportunity to enroll in a variety of benefit programs, generally including health, vision, and dental insurance, flexible spending accounts, health savings accounts, retirement savings plans, life, and disability insurance programs, and paid and unpaid time away from work. In addition to a comprehensive benefits package, Cushman and Wakefield provide eligible employees with competitive pay, which may vary depending on eligibility factors such as geographic location, date of hire, total hours worked, job type, business line, and applicability of collective bargaining agreements.The compensation that will be offered to the successful candidate will depend on factors such as whether the position is covered by a collective bargaining agreement, the geographic area in which the work will be performed, market pay rates in that area, and the candidate's experience and qualifications.The company will not pay less than minimum wage for this role.The compensation for the position is: $50.78 - $50.78Cushman & Wakefield provides equal employment opportunity. Discrimination of any type will not be tolerated. Cushman & Wakefield is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by state, federal, or local law.
In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act Amendments Act (ADAAA), if you have a disability and would like to request an accommodation in order to apply for a position at Cushman & Wakefield, please call the ADA line at 1-888-365-5406 or email HRServices@cushwake.com. Please refer to the job title and job location when you contact us.
In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act Amendments Act (ADAAA), if you have a disability and would like to request an accommodation in order to apply for a position at Cushman & Wakefield, email HRServices@cushwake.com or HRServices@cwservices.com. All inquiries not related to accommodations will go unanswered.